Translate

Learn to Buy Cars at Auctions

Click Here! car auctions

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Of Smoke and Spies

Just realised that in my meanderings I'd totally forgotten about my little Austin A40 and the Triumph Herald.The A40 was a handy vehicle because the rear window hinged upwards and the boot (trunk) lid dropped down,giving a very useful aperture to slide wardrobes etc. in through,once the back seat was folded.It was no ball of fire but went well enough for all that;pity about the oil consumption though.Went to the Lake District for a run one day,about 90 odd miles.It barely used fuel,but when I got there the little A40 needed a complete sump of oil.I think it was the only car I had that used more oil than petrol.Mind you,it was a close run race with the old Nissan Micra I had years later.That too was a James Bond motor,with its constant smoke screen billowing out the back.
The A40 had another interesting foible,the dynamo,predecessor to the alternator,a far superior device,which is why they fit 'em to most vehicles now,wasn't giving the battery enough current so on occasion you found yourself with a flat battery.In this day and age that usually meant a call-out to any number of break-down services;back in my day you inserted the starting handle and spun the engine til it fired,though it helped to have the ignition on first! In some ways I lament the passing of the good old starting handle,although that needed the right approach or you could bust a thumb;in extreme cases I've heard tell of broken wrists.

car auctions

No comments: